With so many options available for funeral arrangements, you can customize a fitting tribute that reflects the life and passions of your loved one. At O’Connell Family Funeral Homes, we encourage the families we serve to tell the story of their loved one in any way possible. Anyone who has come through our doors for a visitation or a service can attest to the dedication we have in making that happen. Regardless of the type of service – traditional, cremation, memorial, etc. we will do everything we can to make it memorable and special.
A funeral can be as simple or elaborate as you wish. The things that had special meaning to your loved one will also give meaning to the people who attend the service. Sharing memories with others can be as simple as playing a special song or telling a personal story. It might also involve displaying photos or items from a favorite hobby. Our staff will work with you to help plan a funeral, memorial service, or gathering that reflects your family’s wishes, and honors and captures the spirit of the person who was so special to you.
- Playing a Memorial Picture Slideshow DVD and music during the visit
- Displaying picture boards and framed photos / art around the funeral home or church
- Having custom Memorial Folders made with their photo and/or a special poem or note
- Picking a casket that friends and family can sign
- Bringing in clothing, sports equipment, military uniforms etc. to display
- Parking a car, boat, snowmobile, camper, motorcycle, or other vehicle by our entrance
- Using a horse and wagon or even a tractor and wagon to transport the casket to the cemetery
- Having a balloon, dove, or a butterfly release at the graveside service
- Have services or receptions at their favorite location – lake, cabin, restaurant, etc.
- Request that guests wear special clothing to honor them – sport uniforms, western wear, etc.
- Have special food for the reception or visitation – “Grandpa loved banana bars”
- Bringing or making a take-away item for those in attendance like: silicon memorial bands, pins, rocks, ribbon bookmarks, etc.
These are just a few examples of things families can do to make their services more personal. If you are looking for other ideas, the staff at O’Connell Family Funeral Homes will be able to help you and share their own experiences and thoughts regarding visitations and services. There may be times when transporting items for display may be difficult due to size or weight. Our staff is willing to help coordinate transport or even provide a helping hand to get those items to the funeral home and back to your home safely. If you are unsure if bringing something in is appropriate, please ask. We will do everything we can to accommodate and make it work.